I had to do some auditioning of fabrics and playing around before I decided what I wanted for the frame. While this is a vintage-inspired portrait, with its oval shape and the cottage being so old (built in the 1890's)...I ended up using some contemporary hand-dyed silk fabrics for my frame, and the treatment I have in mind for the embellishment around the oval is definitely not traditional.
Ironing and pinning my fabrics into place is the easiest way to go here.
I did use a paper template as a guide so that I could get my oval somewhat uniform.
Essentially, this is an applique process, so using the right thread is important. I won this old silk thread collection in its funky Bakelite holder off of Ebay years ago....you can see I am using up that thread! It makes a nice invisible stitch, especially on the silk fabrics I am using.
As you can see, I haven't trimmed my border fabrics yet..I applique on the chunk, and then trim it. I piece the same way.
I run a line of stitching around the perimeter and then trim the fabric.
The values of the frame are pretty close to those in the picture. But after the embellishments go on, that will change!