Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Summer Mandala's Back

Backside, that is....
My Summer Mandala quilt is off to the Pacific International Quilt Festival in the Wall-Hanging category in a couple of weeks, so I thought not only had I better get a sleeve sewn on there for hanging, but I should gussy up the back a little bit, in honor of the show. A label will go on as well.
I've given myself a week of mornings to play with this...so we'll see what kind of damage I can do in that amount of time!

I was in downtown Portland Sunday so stopped at The Playful Needle for some new threads in honor of this endeavor. This shop caters to needlepointers and cross-stitchers...but a crazy quilter is equally in heaven there. That was sure fun!
The sleeve has been sewn on here, and you can just make out the quilting in the ditch I did. But we know this is NOT about quilting.


So here we are at the beginning of Day 2. I'm going around 3 sides of the perimeter with a little floral border. Whimsical and happy, not detailed. Yet.


Just having fun here....ribbon and bead work will come later in the week, after this base gets laid down.
This is definitely my good-bye-to-summer-colors week of stitching.....

5 comments :

atet said...

Beautiful -- and love those colors!

Amy Munson said...

I was at a lecture given by a quilt judge and something she said has always stuck with me. Back art is like sexy lingerie, not necessary but such a nice surprise. Love what you have started with the stitching.

Threadspider said...

I'm so glad there's more of this quilt to come. I feel like an old friend has been missing without your regular post updates-it's been a feature of this summer! I wish it Bon voyage for its impending outing.

Betty said...

This is terrific. A woman with a good backside is highly sought after!

Debra Dixon said...

Congrats on being accepted into the show (even if the quilting is, well, sparse! *wink*)!