Thursday, May 11, 2017

New Work Inspired by Stained Glass Quilts Reimagined

It has been glorious diving more deeply into the design possibilities of the two simplest projects from my book, Allie Aller's Stained Glass Quilts Reimagined.

The first project is "Leaf Vine", a twin sized bed quilt that uses the Iron-On Leading technique I teach in the book.  It's so simple.

The basic concept of outlined leaf on a vine is what I wanted to explore further.  And I did!

This is much smaller scale, a table runner. Some whimsical flowers were added to make this a stylized plant.

Another table runner, this basic block design was set in alternating positions.  The same block is used in all the examples that follow, all looking so different!

What if the leading was green?  And what if the background was black?  The result is super graphic and punchy.

I am one of those quilters absolutely in love with using wool along with cotton in quilts.  In this case the background is cotton flannel.  The leading is shiny metallic "Glitz" fabric, from Maywood Studios.
I love how this turned out: so yummy!

What if printed fabric instead of a solid color or black is used as the leading?  In this small kids' quilt, the leaves are surrounded by large scale prints that have been cut to 1/2" wide.  I think they look so playful!

A detail of the kids' quilt.

I could keep going on and on with the leaves, but the possibilities of the very first (and easiest) project in the book, "Windy Sunshine" kept prompting me to sew....

This is "Windy Sunshine". As you can see, these are all simple square blocks, string pieced in style but actually appliqued, with couched leading.  For my two variations, I switched my construction method to "flip and sew", because in the two quilts that follow, the seams are straighter--so there was no need for applique.

I think the fine black leading sets this quilt apart, gives it the slightest edge, while the colors are just plain ecstatic. 

Because I live two miles from a Pendleton woolen mill, and because I love working with wool so much, I decided to make a variation in wools--with some yarn-dyed and repro cotton thrown into the mix.  This version used the couched leading technique taught in the book.

#3 perle cotton is between the patches, and a nice dense acrylic yarn is between the blocks.  This top isn't quilted yet. I would have to say, this one is my favorite!

All this sewing has been over the past two months or so.  Focusing in and concentrating has yielded many surprises.  I've enjoyed it so much....and just getting started....  ;-) I would love to see variations that you come up with too!
You can buy the book here.  I hope you will!