Monday, April 23, 2012

"Wee Farmscape"

Before anything else, I want to thank Everyone for their kind congratulatory comments on my last post.  The best part of the Saga of the Lost Quilt was hearing from you all and feeling first your sympathy when my book's cover quilt was lost, then your shared happiness with me when it was found, and that is the truth!  It is a story with a very happy ending...my hope is that all lost quilts can find their way home too.

I've been traveling a lot this month...and also--I think I can say this--working on some projects that are under wraps, with the goal of them being published one day--so I haven't been able to put them here on the blog, much as I would love to!

But I can share a class sample that I made for this coming November's Victorian Stitchery Retreat, hosted by Valorie Bothell of the Pink Bunny

It is called a "Wee Farmscape"--inspired by the Kansas heartland where the retreat is.  ;-)

It measures about 7" x 7".
In this 6 hour class, I want to combine and cover two subjects:
The first is how to add applique to a crazy quilt block, by introducing some new supplies that make it very easy and accurate.  (At least, these supplies are new to me.) I think applique is totally underused in crazy quilting!
The second subject in this class is how to use waste canvas in your block, whether in a free form style or along a seam treatment.

I have Pamela Kellogg to thank for learning this approach to waste canvas, and she has most graciously and generously agreed to let me use some of her charted seam designs in class as well.  Pam, you are the very best! 

I hope I will see some of you in Wichita next November...  ;-)  Judith Baker Montano and Candace Kling will be returning yet again, and it is going to be a very special gathering....

5 comments :

Rian said...

I love that you used the word "wee." It's such a great word that we rarely use in this country. Isn't it ironic that we have these blogs to talk about what we're working on and often we have to keep mum about it. Sweet Wee Farmscape, Allie!

Judy S. said...

Love the twinkling stars in your farmscape, Allie. I'll bet that'll be a great class. Maybe one day you'll do one in our area?

Barbara C said...

Your project is very sweet. There's something special about small scale design.

I'm so happy you got your quilt back. If only it could tell the tale of its adventure.

Pamela Kellogg said...

Allie, I for one am just thrilled that your quilt was returned to you.

Second, I'm thrilled that you want to teach my waste canvas technique. It's so versatile and I have loads of new ideas for working with it. Lots of stuff coming soon on my blog!

I'm in the process of making my seam treatment books available as hard printed copies available at MagCloud. The first one is done and then 2nd will be ready in a day or two. Then I can move on to my new ideas!!

Love your little quilt! And everything you do!

Hugs, Pam

Judy said...

What a neat block! Have you thought about making a class video for people to buy for those of us who can't attend your classes? That would be great ;-)