Saturday, November 20, 2010

Bars and Stripes...Top Pieced

I finally was able to piece together my bars and stripes panels for my first bed quilt in about 10 years.
This was more straight seam sewing than I can remember doing all at one time!

I used a lot of trim in this quilt...I can't ignore the possibilities for texture in any project, even bed quilts.

The rick rack is from Moda and the velvet ribbon/gimp is from Simplicity...

Kerry Murphy kindly sent me the velvet pink ribbon that is behind the wide lace on the right; both laces got a dunking in potassium permanganate to give them that light gold tint...and the jacquard woven ribbon is from Simplicity, too (JoAnn's.)

I can't get a complete overall shot because my design wall space isn't large enough!
But here's how it looks up there now. (Ignore the mess in the foreground.)

You can see I didn't quite have enough of the wide lace so I just patched in some others. Crazy quilts are not about perfection! If this was in a competition it would matter, but on my bed it sure won't.

I bought some really pretty hand-dyed perle cotton from Art Fabrik at Festival and I am just wondering if I can get my Juki to quilt with it. I was told a large eyed jeans or topstitch needle can handle it, if I go slowly.
I decided to quilt this onto a fleece blanket, avoiding the batting/backing sandwich ordeal. Besides, I love quilts that are smooth on the top and cozy on the back. That's what is up next....

8 comments :

Kay said...

Very pretty! Does this mean this is going to be a "for use" quilt? Wow.

I've used the Art Fabrik thread for machine quilting. If it's the lightest weight (5?), it works just fine and looks beautiful. The only pain is winding it on something so it will thread through the machine.

Kerri Murphy said...

It's beautiful, as usual! I couldn't put it on a bed in my house. 3 old cats! They leave gifts! LOL

Debra Dixon said...

The quilting should take you awhile! Come up for air every now & then!!

Loved the baked squash-had it for dinner last night! thanks!

Suzanne said...

Just lovely!

Marty52 said...

Love this, Allie! The different bands are each so unique. I also love the idea of quilting it on to a fleece blanket... brilliant! I'm trying to come up with a lightweight quilt for our bed that I can wash in the machine, and this just might be the winning idea. Cool beans!!!

Judy S. said...

So pretty, Allie. I also love the "thanks" quilt. You are very talented! How's the weather down your way? It's kinda chilly here.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

A beauty! I love your combining beautiful/comfy/practical in something just for your bed!

Susan Elliott said...

Looks great Allie! I'm looking forward to the fleece quilting experiment since I've never even made one whole quilt in my life...but I would like to... :)