Saturday, January 2, 2010

Vintage CQ...Piecing Frenzy!

Now that my flower blocks are sewn together, it is time to piece the blocks that will surround the center section. My first attempt at these blocks last summer didn't work--they were too loud for this "dignified" (read: traditional) a crazy quilt--but that's o.k. because oh, do I love piecing!

So I pulled some fabrics, cut out my muslin foundations, pinned them in place on my design wall, and have gotten to work....

I am using the same construction method for the blocks that they used in the old days....laying out the patches, basting them into place, and then sewing them down. I really think the method of block construction determines the "look" of a CQ, and I am going for that antique feel this time around...mostly. There will be a few aberrations!

In keeping with this approach, I'm including a ribbon commemorating our country's Bicentennial. It was a gift to me from my cousins, who found it in their mother's sewing basket after she passed away in November. I am so proud to include it in this quilt, in memory of my Aunt Sally.

The little fan is from an old, half-started cutter CQ that a friend sent to me a few years ago...I finally realized that I would never finish it, but I certainly would love to mine it for fabrics and even some of the motifs.

So I've got many pleasant hours of sewing ahead of me over the next few days...

13 comments :

Anonymous said...

Very nice work! :) Your enthusiasm is contagious! Can't wait to see what you get accomplished this year!

Mary-Frances said...

I love the old piecing techniques - and it does really change the way it looks. I can't wait to see the whole thing finished.
Your productivity is astounding!

JoWynn Johns said...

Playing catch-up, I've just read the last few posts. The quilt piecing looks magnificent. And I love seeing the various tools and techniques you employ. Though I don't often do something you've shown, I get the courage and inspiration to try something unorthodox myself. My first teacher told me I had an advantage in not have been formally taught needlework. I just experiment. And I love watching you try new things--materials, tools, techniques, combinations. Thanks.

Judy S. said...

Happy New Year, Allie. May 2010 bring you many hours of creativity. You are such an inspiration!

Maureen said...

Perfect!!!!!

Gerry Krueger said...

I don't see any whites or lights in your stash pile... In my humble opinion (very humble) I'd include small bits of white and lights in the outside block to echo all the whites and lights in the center... Maybe not just a thought.

I follow this project with zeal and the center is spectacular.... Gerry K.

Debra Dixon said...

I was just given a CQ and will be harvesting parts of it too--for a new Madonna piece. How lucky is that?

This is turning into such a pretty piece and not all that traditional looking to me either.

Kay said...

Could you use a bit of the millennium tartan ribbon? (Yes there is such a thing.)
The bicentennial ribbon made me think of it. It's blue, fairly bright, plaid of course, and with a bit of silver metallic thread, as I recall. Pretty. I bought it in Glasgow in 1999 and have done nothing with it. I could spare you a few inches if you think it would work. :)

Summerset said...

What a great ribbon to use - it will be perfectly at home. Looks like the border will be just right.

Jane said...

I'd love to check out all your fabrics in the first pic, Allie! Please share how you layer and baste one of these new blocks using the old time method as I've never done any CQ this way, just the flip/sew way. What are the size of these outer blocks? The commerative ribbon is quite a keepsake, how nice for your family to know you'd be the best recipient of it

Susan Elliott said...

OK...that ribbon is PERFECT!

And I have to agree that this quilt does not scream traditional to me...I see joy and brightness and lollipops and cartwheels and somersaults...

and don't ask me what I've been drinking...

I just really think that middle is special and it IS the brighter color palette that makes it so...(ok, plus all those wonderful hand designed flowers in the centers...)

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Send our gifts and flowers to Brazil and present a lasting symbol of your heartfelt appreciation to your dear ones. Floresbrazil.com is a website of your choice for sending flowers and gifts to Brazil.

Please visit:
www.floresbrazil.com