Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Garden Lace....Lucite Bead Circle

I can't visit my son Max (he's a techie) and his girlfriend Esther in Seattle without a trip to Fusion Beads, which is literally just down the street from them.
Fusion always has a yummy supply of vintage lucite beads...so I bought some for my Garden Lace project.

I also stopped in on Weaving Works, which is in the vicinity as well. I brought home some goodies.

I was on a budget or else I would have gone pretty nuts with those flower beads!

I also spent a most splendid afternoon at the home of Paul and Jean Krynicki, who are the proprieters of River Silks, my favorite silk ribbon in all the world.
Paul and Jean have traveled extensively all over Asia to source the very highest quality silk. Their ribbon will NEVER run or shred while you are using it, because the thread count is so high.

They sent me home with a copy of the book they use in their classes. I plan on devouring it; you can have a look inside here.
Also shown is a sample of their 13mm (that's 1/2") ribbon. Non-shredding wide ribbon is something I can't wait to stitch with!

Jean showed me how to do this combination Folded Ribbon Stitch/French Knot.
You can see how dense the ribbon is, but it is not stiff at all. It just behaves itself beautifully.

I put my newly acquired lucite flowers and Swarovski pearls to fine use on my Garden Lace piece...but otherwise got no stitching done at all! The weather was just too nice....

I like how the five-petaled lucite flowers mimic the five-petaled borage and verbena blossoms in the round center print....
They really catch the light better than the above picture shows. Maybe from an angle...

That's better!
I hope to get the rest of my simple stitching done on this over the coming days...but while the weather stays nice I'll have to get into the garden......

11 comments :

Judy S. said...

Hi Allie, Next time you come through let me know and maybe we can meet for coffee or something! I just found out that River Silks was local after reading lots of compliments about it for years. Saw some at a yarn shop near Green Lake, and it had their Kirkland address. I will definitely have to check out Fusion Beads...have been to WW also but not for a long time. Love the way you used the flower beads!

Raspberry said...

This looks so fun - the silk ribbon looks amazing. I'll have to try them out!

Debra Dixon said...

What a cool technique with the silk ribbon! I can see how that would translate into some very pretty flowers.

I was at the thrift store the other day and bought a bag of flowermaking supplies. I don't know when I'll get to use them but you have inspired me just a tad!

Susan Elliott said...

Oh, where to start...first of all, the Noro yarn that you got is heavenly...I've made a couple of belts out of it with a simple garter stitch and they turn out very cool. I haven't yet couched it onto anything but I know that's where you're heading...

I like the hardiness of River Silks too and I have never seen it in 13mm width -- that is one size that I think they would excel in since the other brands de-compensate so quickly.

Though I like Riversilks, I can't totally leave behind the others...sometimes RS is not as "drapey" and soft as I'd like it to be. Sometimes the delicate and loose nature of the less highly woven has it's appeal depending on the project.

You're such a lucky gal to be buddies with them. I bet they have very interesting tales to tell. I very much admire what they are doing...

As for your block, I bet I'll come back in the next day or so and they'll be a "completed" post on this beautiful blog of yours...We're on to you...
xo Susan

Malissa said...

What beautiful ribbon! Thanks for the link to their website. I'm excited to explore.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

I second the accolades to Jean and Paul's silk ribbon. I use it for my surface embellishment on the needlepoint crazy quilt pieces - and it NEVER frays. Remarkable as well as beautiful colors and texture!

JennaLouiseCreates said...

So beautiful! I admire your work. Jenna Louise

Kay said...

The wide ribbon and the stitch you made with it are beautiful. That's on needlepoint canvas--if you put it on a crazy block, do you transfer it like the lost canvas stitch, or was that just practice? (As you can see, I'm totally ignorant about this :))

Summerset said...

Very pretty, I love those lucite flowers!

Margaret said...

"Oooooooooh" indeed! :-)

Jill K said...

Hi Allie,

Thanks for the mention! You're so thoughtful.

Our new and improved website is: www.riversilks.com

Jill Krynicki
Marketing/Web Development
River Silks Ltd
www.riversilks.com